Protect Against Ransomware.
In recent times there has been a lot of publicity about Ransomware. The Wanna cry, Cryptolocker and Petya ransomware threats are the highest profile attacks in recent times, but did you know there are ways to avoid them? We’ve done a couple of posts about some of them including, Australia Post, AGL & Origin Energy attacks. The Wanna Cry ransomware attack only attacked computers with Windows 8 or before. Microsoft had plugged the security hole that was exploited in the previous version of Windows making Windows 8.1 & 10 computers immune to the threat. There is a new threat however that was targeting Windows 10 computers until Microsoft corrected the security breach.
There are 5 basic rules to avoid spyware. It is important to know however Ransomware can attack anytime or through a click & run platform. (As described in the earlier posts)
So... Here’s the 5 top tips.
- Ensure your Windows in completely updated. Clicking on your Windows 10 start button and typing ‘winver’ will show you the version of Windows you are currently running. It should be Windows 10, 1703. (As Pictured)
- Be cautious opening e-mails. Even e-mails from a trusted friend can be laced with an attack. Be careful what you open.
- Run an up to date Anti-Virus program such as Kaspersky, Norton or Trend.
- Ensure Automatic Updates are ON.
- Backup your data regularly.
While the 5 tips listed here will not categorically stop ransomware, but it will reduce the risk.
If you would like help increasing your computer security, let us know. We come to you in Ballan, Ballarat, Bacchus Marsh & Melton. Ballan Computers can be reached on 03 5368 2611 or you can send us an e-mail.